Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip

3 posters

Go down

Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip Empty Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip

Post  siri Mon May 19, 2008 11:34 am

I recently shifted some roses, daffodils and irises from one of the front beds. The roses were very samll and hardly noticable when in bloom, so I have ordered some patio standards - "Busy Bee" from Treloars. It is a small growing ground cover rose, but grafted as a standard it is supposed to be very nice, and will suit this bed well.
The bed has a nicely developing miniature box hedge, but the soil had compacted a bit, so I forked it over (I had to, to find all the daff bulbs) and added some more soil and compost to the bed, then I dig my rose holes. I'll say that again .....I dug my rose holes!
No I don't have my order from Treloars yet. I hunted round for 5 X 10" pots and sat one in each of the rose holes, right down into the ground. Then I back filled them with soil. I planted wallflower and iceland poppy seedlings in the bed, including one in the centre of each of the pots.
Now when my order arrives, all I have to do is lift out the pots, without disturbing my annuals.
I thought it was a good idea, but I haven't done this before so I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip Empty Re: Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip

Post  Fran Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Can't see why it won't work. Jealous of the poppies - just about my favourite annual - love to see pics of them one day sunny
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip Empty Re: Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip

Post  The Estate Mon May 19, 2008 12:48 pm

Hey Fran sing out if you want some, I should have left overs cheers
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon May 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Alas and alack Thee - too hot for them here Sad An aunt used to grow them in Nambour further south but I don't know anybody about who grows them here. Take them like a shot otherwise thanks Thee - so old-fashioned but they never seem to date - like sweet peas. sunny
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Tue May 20, 2008 4:28 am

Oh well I can share pics with you then cheers

Bees rap dancing Shocked

Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip IMG_0483

Waiting for the rose order - a gardening tip IMG_0478
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Tue May 20, 2008 5:37 am

Wow - master photographer at work - thanks Thee Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 am

I see there's been bees on your poppies Thee.
(try that 10 times fast - LOL)
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down