Burning off and other mishaps

Go down

Burning off and other mishaps

Post  siri on Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 pm

I have a "real man" as my hubby calls him, who comes in and cuts the grass. He is good at cutting the grass. He does it exactly how I want it done.
Now sometimes I have him do other jobs, and Hubby has threatened to kill him. Cleaning the gutters - well he nearly killed himself. I will find someone with nimbler feet next year. I heard a great clatter on the roof and a thump on the decking and thought - OMG he's fallen off! No - it was only the leaf blower.
So why then, did I ask him to burn the 2 heaps of accumulated debris? (I know - CO2 etc. I should mulch it - but I still burn a small heap once or twice a year) One might also ask - why did I allow them to stack the pea straw where it was? Why didn't I run the hose down just in case? why didn't I specifically ask him to stand by the heaps as they were burning? You know where this is going don't you? I DO take full responsibility myself.
Well I had to work yesterday morning. I was up to my ears and had tax payment deadlines already 2 days behind me. Fortunately the builder next door was on the ball. Fire! I heard. Your hay is burning! There were people running everywhere. I was trying to get hoses connected, and get past the dogs who were confined to the decking but wanted in on the action. Finally got there with the hose, and they nearly had it under control. The guys were smart enough to grab out the burning bales and pull them away from the stack.
From a stack of about 150 bales, 8 caught fire. Over 1/2 of these bales still remains as useable, so it could have been worse. I figure it was a freak accident - the fire had burned right down, then a strong puff of wind had lifted a single little ember. Hay catches so easily.
Apologies all around/ No blaming was done.
Lesson learned - don't build a stack of straw close to where you are going to burn rubbish.
It was exciting. I did get the book work done eventually.
Cheers, Jan
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burning off and other mishaps

Post  guzzigirl on Sun May 11, 2008 5:03 am

my goodness! what excitement! I was picturing all the action like one of those old black and white silent movies where everything moves faster than life with piano accompaniment.
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran on Sun May 11, 2008 5:38 am

Bit scarey Jan - those blokes who pulled the burning hay bales off the rest saved the day by the sounds of it.

Hay's the easiest thing to ignite - we once stopped to warn someone the hay bales stacked on the back of his truck were smouldering.

Glad all's okay Smile
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty on Sun May 11, 2008 6:15 am

I am glad you didn't lose all that straw, Jan. Ian thinks I am paranoid because I insist on the hose being down at the fire and stuff only being burnt if he or I can be there the whole time, so do you think I should read your post to him, huh? LOL. Our manure heap isn't far from where we burn and there is a lot of straw there.

Guzzigirl, you cracked me up with your comment about things speeding up.

Most dramatic few minutes I've seen was a very long time ago when I was a teenager and taking riding lessons at Ern Barker's(one of our past Olympians in equestrian events). His son was doing something to their horse truck and the hay in the back caught fire, and his son jumped into it and drove it out and up onto the highway with the flames almost as high as the tree tops, to prevent buildings catching fire. Stupid thing to do, he was lucky to get away with it.
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Sun May 11, 2008 7:13 am

I have to confess to an act of pyromania. When we were farming, we had a gully with a creek with a shale bottom but unfortunately the whole area ( about 5 acres) was completely covered with blackberries so the stock couldn't drink. We shared our livestock, Suffolk Sheep and Limousin cattle with friends who lived in town, on a cooperative venture and John, like me, thought the best solution would be a controlled burn then we could at least get in to see what we could do to get the land usable. Bob was completely set against the idea, and did the 'it's my land' thing. So one day, riding in the ute with John to fetch the bull, while Bob was doing something else, we accidentally spilled some petrol near the blackberries, then I accidentally flicked a match near it. Well, talk about conflagration! Years of dried blackberry crackled and went up - spontaneous combusion! The rural fire brigade arrived with a small tank of water, advised we 'let the bugger burn' at least it will get rid of the blackberries! Blackberries will spontaneously catch fire was the considered opinion. I hid in the ute. It did burn out overnight but not until after a few anxious hours and a fortuitous sudden downpour. John and I still have a secret snigger. The cows loved the fresh water that could now run. The bull Ron made it his special place. A local 90 year old told us it was 'ancient' water from Cradle Mountain. I used to look out the kitchen window down the hill and see this lovely little rainforest where the wildlife emerged to graze and Ron was King of the Paddock. So it did end well. I do miss that!
Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl on Sun May 11, 2008 8:32 am

Blossom wrote:I have to confess to an act of pyromania...

and did Bob ever suspect? Shocked Laughing
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom on Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 pm

I think he did but had more sense than to say so!
Blossom
Admin

View user profile http://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down