Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

striking a cutting

+2
siri
Fran
6 posters

Go down

striking a cutting Empty striking a cutting

Post  Fran Sat May 10, 2008 8:21 am

Many people are daunted when given a cutting - don't know quite what to do with it - don't even know which way is up sometimes LOL

And that was me way back when and it took years to overcome that "what do I do with this" affraid I think of all those wasted years now and shake my head. Don't think twice when someone gives me a cutting. Plonk it in and wait for it to grow - confidence is what it takes - a few successes and you're on a roll.

I think it was all to do with the advice given. This is a "...". You have to do this and make sure you do that and whatever you don don't do this. And so it goes. It's daunting. Takes forever to get confident unless you have good soil and anything grows despite.

Well guess what - I've discovered you can just plonk it in and it will grow long as it isn't consigned to the isolation ward - just put it with all your other plants where it will get a water and a bit of shade and a bit of attention - meaning give it a friendly smile as you pass - let it know you care LOL

You can just about strike anything - give it a go and if it doesn't - try again

flower
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

striking a cutting Empty Re: striking a cutting

Post  siri Sat May 10, 2008 10:23 am

I have to agree Fran. You learn as you go along, and soon you have heaps of new plants. I was trimming up the box hedge a couple of weeks ago and had a pot of soil nearby and just shoved some pieces in there. I know they take a long time to produce roots, but the leaves are healthy after 2 weeks, so I'll wait patiently, then hopefully put in another hedge. sunny
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 am

Well, I have never done a cutting yet I'm ashamed to say, but think I'll start. Barb did some for me of a big tree I want more of - don't know its name - and you'd have sworn the cuttings were dead, but good thing I didn't throw them out as new little shoots/leaves are coming. Certainly inspires me to try.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Blossom Sat May 10, 2008 11:54 am

Just trimmed out my Abutilon and shoved some sticks in a pot along with other cuttings. Going to do the Fuschias tomorrow. If one in 10 strikes its a new plant. I've also divided my rock roses ( the succulents - not sure what the real name is) . They grow new plants from one leaf and I've found some tiny tiny plant pots, thought I'd shove some into them so the girls can see they new rosettes develop. Fairy garden stuff. Too knackered from the last of the wall to take pics but will. I'm like you Fran, I pull a cutting so there's a 'heel' in possible and just shove it in. I'f I've got time on my hands and nothing better to do, I do the honey dip, but can't say I get any better success.
Blossom
Blossom
Admin

https://cosmicconnection.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarecrow Sun May 25, 2008 5:03 am

Hi Folks
I've just found this section and think it's a great idea...
I've got a few 'step by steps' on my blog for beginners but people seem to have trouble finding things on blogger. No

Here's one for taking cuttings...it's basically a talk I gave at our Garden Club a while ago but I've added some photos to help explain. Hope it's helpful. Smile
Taking Cuttings
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

http://scarecrowsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun May 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Well the closer I get to finally paying out the morg. the tighter my purse strings have been getting, well we all know that old saying , 'tighter than a fishes #%^&&**, affraid . So me Thee cheers has been growing her annuals by seed and doing cuttings as well for nearly 18 months now, and guess what Shocked , I love it, I have been getting more satisfaction out of saying, 'I did that' form scratch bounce And the freebies you pick up from other members along the way all helps as well I love you
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sun May 25, 2008 2:25 pm

P.S. it does not cost anything to try a cutting if it fails, confused Most of my failures are that I forget to water them Mad
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sun May 25, 2008 4:42 pm

I agree Thee. Have been checking out my pot ghetto and discovered about 10 roses - half of them are flowering and have to be planted out sometime soon - very soon - two have buds all over them Cool A cane was broken off my beautiful red china rose and I divided it into 3 cuttings - all have struck so I am thinking of a hedge of them now.

That's just the roses - I have bougans coming out of my ears and a heap of shrubs - my work's cut out just thinking of where they are all to go LOL

My best tip for cuttings - shove into pots, crowd them, put all the pots and cuttings in the shade together somewhere on bare ground and water all together. The ground gets damp and cools the area - it's like a rainforest - they support each other LOL
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Mon May 26, 2008 3:08 am

Thnks for the tip Fran, I have a nice spot on one side of the hourse where I stash all my orchids I love you
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down