Cosmic Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sweet persimmon

+2
siri
Fran
6 posters

Go down

sweet persimmon Empty sweet persimmon

Post  Fran Tue May 06, 2008 10:40 am

Have been enjoying these so much the last week or so - love to grow my own here - I don't know anyone about that grows them but know they are grown commercially in the South Burnett.

Believe the sweet variety I'm eating is Fuyu - not sure - anyone growing it or know the best sweet persimmon variety to get.

Thinking I might espalier it - is this the way to go - how long before they start bearing a good crop.

Would welcome any info you can give me - thanks Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

sweet persimmon Empty Re: sweet persimmon

Post  siri Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 am

Another one I'm interested in growing, but don't know if they would cope with the frost here. Had friends with a lovely mature tree full of fruit in Bendigo years ago. I tried one but it was very astringent. I didn't know then how ripe they have to be. A bit like Medlars (which do grow here).
Cheers, jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Jan,

I just put my Loquat tree in but I'm darned if I know where the Persimmon will go. It has to be full sun out of the wind. I'll keep lthinking on that. I think mine is a Fuyu, I've misplaced the tag off it but the name rings a bell. I'm glad to hear you say they taste good.

Cheers
Betty
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Wed May 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Ummm, so sorry, Fran and Jan, that was supposed to be addressed to Fran of course. Oops! LOL.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Wed May 07, 2008 4:20 pm

If it's the one I'm eating Betty you won't be disappointed. These are yummy - nicer than nectarines or kiwi fruit.

Jan the one I am eating is quite firm but gives just a little - orange - about the size of a tomato. I cut and eat like I do a mango - not as messy but it's juicy and sweet.

I can't eat the astringent variety which have to be very soft - like jelly, though I think you can freeze them like a banana and eat them that way.

I just don't want to get the wrong variety.
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Wed May 07, 2008 5:12 pm

They must be good to be better than nectarines, Fran. I love nectarines. All the more important then that I find just the right spot for mine.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu May 08, 2008 6:04 am

anyone got a pic, I think I have one growing wild where my water metre is Rolling Eyes and they look ripe ATM Question
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Thu May 08, 2008 2:19 pm

The Estate wrote:anyone got a pic, I think I have one growing wild where my water metre is Rolling Eyes and they look ripe ATM Question

we are talking TREES here Thee... with apple sized bright orange fruit... Rolling Eyes

mind you, if it is one, I'll relieve you of it if it is in the way at all Laughing
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Thu May 08, 2008 2:30 pm

I'll take a pic, not one of these though, just googled images, common they are !! Rolling Eyes look similar though Rolling Eyes
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Fri May 09, 2008 6:43 am

I think Persimmons would have to be the most beautiful fruit. They are so perfect and colourful like bright red lanterns.
Worth growing just for that.
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Fri May 09, 2008 8:55 am

siri wrote:I think Persimmons would have to be the most beautiful fruit. They are so perfect and colourful like bright red lanterns.

there is one nearby and I love the look of the bright fruit hanging on the otherwise bare tree! The only thing that spoils it is the bird netting, without which there would be no fruit.
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Fri May 09, 2008 10:57 am

siri wrote:I think Persimmons would have to be the most beautiful fruit. They are so perfect and colourful like bright red lanterns.

That's what I think about Pomegranates too, Jan. Such beautiful bright orange fluffy blossom, then that fruit that seems such an attraction for artists. We have quite a big one here.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Fri May 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Hmmm - not your best quality nectarine Betty - but where do you get them. Sometimes my mum finds them at a local Chinese fruit mart - sometimes Rolling Eyes
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Estate Sat May 10, 2008 4:28 am

Betty wrote:

That's what I think about Pomegranates too, Jan. Such beautiful bright orange fluffy blossom, then that fruit that seems such an attraction for artists. We have quite a big one here.

That is what my plant is remembered the name last night, a bird poop plant growing over the water metre, but the reader still knows where to find it Twisted Evil Lost count of how many time I have cut it back

affraid

sweet persimmon IMG_2002
The Estate
The Estate
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Sat May 10, 2008 7:44 am

Picked up some persimmons this morning at the market and another buyer came along as I was picking some out of the box. We got chatting and she said these days you can eat them before they are ripe - like an apple. We were interrupted so I don't know if she was confusing the two varieties, sweet and astringent, of if she meant the sweet variety is now available.

Have sweet varieties always been around in the shops?
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 am

I just found the tag off my Persimmon, Fran, and it is a Fuyu. So, I need a spot with deep, rich, well drained soil, protected from wind and in full sun. Hmmm, still haven't found it. When they say protected from wind, how close must the protection be? Where I was thinking of it'd have the wind broken by our garage, dog yards, stables etc., but they at a distance.
Betty
Betty
Busy Bee
Busy Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  guzzigirl Sat May 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Fran wrote:Picked up some persimmons this morning at the market and another buyer came along as I was picking some out of the box. We got chatting and she said these days you can eat them before they are ripe - like an apple. We were interrupted so I don't know if she was confusing the two varieties, sweet and astringent, of if she meant the sweet variety is now available.

Have sweet varieties always been around in the shops?

as far as I know the sweet (non-astringent) type have been a fairly new development. I noticed that Diggers Club have two sweet and one astringent variety in their winter catalogue. Tempting....
guzzigirl
guzzigirl
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Sun May 11, 2008 4:21 pm

For as many years as I can remember, there have been astringent persimmons about. I like them but only every now and then. Someone I met recently says they make wonderful sorbet. She freezes them, once very ripe, then puts them through her Champion juicer. Her kids think its mango icecream! The non-astringent kind have also, it seems, been around for some time, just little known.
Anyway, I've read that some varities need a pollinator and others don't. Make sure you check this out beforehand.
Siri, they grow in Armidale so I'm sure they'd grow in central Vic.
Oh, and the botanist who gave them their scientific name must have loved them. They are called Diospyros which translates as food of the gods!

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fran Mon May 12, 2008 5:41 am

Had another look for more info. Fuyu is the most popular sweet variety in Florida - it's ripe when hard they say. I just ate one to see - there was no give in the flesh at all. I could eat it just like an apple as the lady said. I prefer them a bit softer though - there's more juice and definitely more flavour and sweetness.

Fuyu doesn't generally need cross pollination - not perfectly dependable though. Bees helpful then Smile

Generally likes a similar climate to citrus.

Requires good drainage and lots of water to get established like anything else I suppose.

Soil - planting hole well prepared with lots of organic matter. Need balanced fertilizer once or twice a year - seems an excess of nitrogen will cause fruit drop.

This variety is described by Daleys ( I think ? ) as a 'semi dwarf' so not a big tree.

Queenslanders have to worry about fruit fly, particularly if a dry year apparently.

Couldn't find mention of wind Betty . They grow 2000 different cultivars in China, 800 in Japan. They have been introduced in a big way to South America. Grow in India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy and right across the US.

Didn't realize it but the fruit including peel can be dried. Can be turned into molasses or wine - jam or preserves of course. Ripe fruit can be frozen whole or pulped. Seeds can be roasted.

Very versatile - great food crop by the sound of it.

Betty I'll be planting as if a citrus here I think - unless I find out more Smile
Fran
Fran
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  siri Mon May 12, 2008 7:38 am

Sounds as if I will have to plant mine in front of the house, on the north side where the citrus are thriving. I will see if the local tree man (Warrenhiep nursery) can source me a Fuyu. Not sure where it will go yet. I might have to move some of the roses. I have to find room there for the strawberry guava too.
It is great being able to sit here and discuss gardening with you people, while I am working. I just take a breather every now and then and check the cosmic messages. It will be fun to set up a gallery!
Cheers, Jan
siri
siri
Cosmic Traveller!
Cosmic Traveller!

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymondo Mon May 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Latest Diggers catalogue has two sweet persimmons - Fuyu and Ichikeiko Jiro, the latter small enough to cope in a large pot.
After reading this thread I've been buying Fuyu fruit at the supermarket. Yum, especially when, as Fran says, a little soft, the consistency of a firm but ripe peach.

Raymondo
Big Bopper!
Big Bopper!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down